Memory foam sandals are becoming increasingly popular. We all love our memory foam sandals for their comfort.
But let’s be honest, they can get pretty dirty really quickly.
Like any other footwear, sandals made of memory foam need to be cleaned regularly to keep them fresh and free of dirt, dust, and other allergens.
Here, we’ll show you how to clean your memory foam sandals so they look and feel like new.
Best Methods To Clean Memory Foam Sandals
We all know flip-flops can get pretty dirty, especially if you wear them often. But don’t worry—there are ways to clean your memory foam sandals to look as good as new.
Here are some of the best methods:
1. Clean With Baking Soda
For this method, all you need is some baking soda and an old brush.
- First, take out the insole of your sandal and sprinkle baking soda generously all over it.
- Next, rub the baking soda into the insole using a soft-bristled brush.
- Once you’ve covered the entire surface, leave the insole to sit for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes, wash the insole off with warm water to get the excess baking soda off the memory foam shoes and let it air dry.
This is a quick, easy method that can be done frequently without affecting the quality of the material, and you already have the tools at home!
2. Wash With Vinegar
A natural way to clean your memory foam slippers is to use vinegar. This household staple is perfect for removing dirt and grime without damaging the material.
- Start by mixing one part of vinegar with two parts of water.
- Use a clean cloth to wipe down your sandals.
- If they’re filthy, let them soak in the mixture for some time before scrubbing.
- Once you’ve finished, rinse the sandals with cold water and allow them to dry.
You may notice that your sandals have a slight vinegar smell after cleaning, but don’t worry—this will dissipate once they’re dry.
3. Wash With Soap And Water
This is a great cleaning solution for memory foam sandals if they only need a mild touch-up.
- Start by mixing some mild soap or laundry detergent and water.
- Use a soft cloth or a magic cleaning sponge to scrub the surface of your sandals gently.
- Rinse them off with clean water.
- Air-dry your sandals before wearing them again.
If you like wearing sandals often, you’ll need to wash them more frequently. Every few days, scrub your sandals with a soft brush to remove any dirt or debris.
It will help to prolong the life of your sandals.
4. Machine Wash It
Time-saving tip—you can machine wash your memory foam sandals!
It is the quickest and most effective way to clean memory foam shoes. Just pop them in on a delicate cycle and let the machine do its thing.
Be sure to use a non-abrasive detergent and lukewarm water when cleaning, and avoid scrubbing too harshly.
Make sure to check the care label before machine washing.
Some types of memory foam sandals can’t be machine-washed. If your sandals can be machine-washed, then follow these simple steps:
- Remove the straps or any other removable parts from your sandals.
- Place them in a mesh laundry bag to protect them during the cycle.
- Make sure to use a mild detergent.
- Once they are completely dry, reattach any removable parts.
- Enjoy your clean sandals.
5. Clean With Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a great cleaning agent for different materials, including memory foam. You can use it to clean spots on your sandals or to clean the entire sandal.
- To use hydrogen peroxide, mix it with water in a 1:1 ratio.
- Then, use a clean cloth to apply the mixture to the sandal.
- Rub the cloth in circular motions to work the hydrogen peroxide into the foam.
- Let the sandal sit for a few minutes before rinsing it with clean water.
Tip: You can apply hydrogen peroxide directly to the sandal for a particularly tough stain. Let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it away with a clean cloth.
Colored memory foam sandals can be cleaned with hydrogen peroxide, but you should do a spot test on a small area first to ensure that the hydrogen peroxide won’t cause the color to fade.
6. Use Magic Eraser
If your memory foam sandals are starting to look dingy, you can use a magic sponge or eraser to clean them.
- First, dampen the sponge with water and gently rub it over the surface of the sandals. Stains that are difficult to remove may require a little pressure.
- If you have any stubborn stains, you can use a toothbrush to scrub them away.
- After scrubbing, rinse the sandals with clean water and let them air dry.
This method is not recommended for leather sandals as the magic eraser may damage the leather.
Tips And Tricks To Remove Odor From Your Memory Foam Sandals
Memory foam sandals contour your feet—they’re easy to slip on and off, making them perfect for busy days or lazy weekends. But no matter how comfortable they are, memory foam sandals can start to smell after a while.
If you’ve noticed that your sandals are starting to stink, don’t worry, there are a few easy ways to eliminate the odor.
Baking soda or hydrogen peroxide is one of the simplest ways to eliminate smells from your memory foam sandals. All you have to do is place one or two desiccator sachets within each sandal and let them sit overnight.
Sandals will smell fresh and clean after being cleaned with baking soda, absorbing moisture and odors.
Drying them in the sun is also a great way to remove smells from memory foam sandals. Simply place the sandals in direct sunlight for a few hours—it will help to eliminate any odors.
More often than not, when cleaning our shoes, we focus on the visible parts like the upper or the outsole. However, neglecting the insole can lead to severe problems like lousy odor and fungal infections.
You must clean your memory foam sandals regularly to ensure optimum comfort and hygiene.
Memory foam sandals are a versatile and comfortable footwear option that people of all ages can enjoy. However, like any other type of shoes, they will eventually get dirty and require care and cleaning.
Fortunately, memory foam sandals are relatively easy to clean using our simple steps.
With time and effort, you can have your sandals looking new again in no time!